If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Bulgarian banitsa with winter squash and spinach! —inpatskitchen
Makes one 9x13 inch pan or about 12 servings
For the filling
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium leek, white and light green parts only, sliced lengthwise into fourths and then cut crosswise about 1/4 inch
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups grated butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon dried dillweed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 ounce bag of baby spinach, wilted, squeezed as dry as possible and then chopped
- 2 cups large curd, full fat cottage cheese, drained in a colander
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Additional salt and pepper if needed
- 2 lightly beaten eggs
- Melt the butter in a large sauté pan and add the leek and garlic. Saute until fragrant and then stir in the squash, salt, pepper and dillweed. Cook over medium heat for just a few minutes until the squash begins to soften a bit. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and let cool.
- Once cooled, stir in the cottage cheese, feta and chopped spinach. Give the mixture a taste and add additional salt and pepper if you feel it needs it. Stir in the lightly beaten eggs.
Make the Pie
- 28 sheets filo dough from a one pound package
- 8 tablespoons (one stick) butter, melted
- The previously made filling
- Pre heat your oven to 375F. Using a pastry brush, brush the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking or roasting pan with some of the melted butter.
- Drape 4 sheets of filo in the bottom of the pan, 2 sheets lengthwise, 2 sheets crosswise, folding the dough to fit neatly. Dab with melted butter and then repeat with 4 more sheets of filo.
- Spread 1/2 of the filling over the buttered filo sheets and then repeat with 8 more sheets of filo. Dab with more butter. Spread the remaining filling over and then place 8 more sheets of filo over, dabbing with butter after each 4 sheets.
- Now place the last 4 sheets of filo over the top, laying them in as smoothly as possible. Brush with the remaining butter and tuck in the edges with the tip of your pastry brush. Use a sharp knife and cut through the top layers of filo into 12 equal pieces.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes and let stand a bit before cutting and serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory (Winter) Squash Recipe