Author Notes: I've made potato gnocchi many times, and substituted butternut squash this time. They are a little sweet, and taste amazing with the browned butter, garlic and sage. —Leith Devine
Makes: 7 dozen
Prep time: 50 min
Cook time: 30 min
pound butternut squash, cooked
cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 1/2-3 1/2
cups flour (adjust as needed depending on how moist the squash is)
fresh sage leaves
clove garlic, crushed
- I started with cubed butternut squash. Microwave it on high until tender and cooked through. Puree in a food processor until smooth. Set aside in the refrigerator to cool.
- Beat the 2 eggs, and add the cooled squash puree and salt. Mix to combine.
- Add the flour 1 cup at a time and stir gently to combine. The amount of flour you use is dependent on the moistness of the squash. Keep adding flour until the dough stays together and can be kneaded. Knead gently or the gnocchi will be tough.
- Flour your work surface. Divide dough into small balls. Roll the balls out into a "snake" and use a knife or a bench scraper to cut individual gnocchi from the snake. They should be roundish, not flat. Gently roll with a fork for the traditional gnocchi grooves, but don't flatten them out. Place on parchment paper while you keep rolling.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add gnocchi eight to ten at a time so they have room to cook. When they rise to the top, remove them with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl. Repeat until you have enough for dinner! Extra gnocchi can be frozen on a flat pan lined with parchment paper. When frozen, transfer to a freezer safe bag.
- Heat up a deep frying pan and melt the butter and add the sage leaves. I cut up some and left others whole. Cook until butter is browned, then add crushed garlic and pepper. Cook until sage leaves are crispy.
- Add cooked gnocchi to pan and cook to heat through, tossing in the butter.
- Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. These will be heavier than regular gnocchi.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory (Winter) Squash Recipe