If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have to confess I do like baked donuts. This version is based on my go-to banana bread recipe, adapted to yield a good texture for a baked donut. It yields donuts that have all the good thing of a banana bread,strong flavour and moist crumb included. As for regular donuts, baked donuts are nothing without a serious icing. I have currently two preferred options for icing these banana bread one. One is a kefir (or greek yoghurt) glaze, which is basically a slightly more acid version of a regular white powder sugar glaze. Bananas are sweet, and I find that the tanginess of kefir works well with them. Or, a properly decadent powder sugar and Nutella glaze. If you have never tried the banana-Nutella combo – which would shock me! – this is definitely what you should do. —Silvia Merler
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Kefir (or yogurt, add a splash of milk if using thick yogurt)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- see at the end for icing options!
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F and grease a donut cake pan.
- Smash the bananas (almost liquefy them, if possible). Add egg, oil, kefir and spices and mix well. Mix together the flour, sugar and baking soda in a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated (don’t over mix). The batter should be rather liquid so if you are using thick yogurt (such as greek one) instead of kefir, you probably want to add 1 or 2 tablespoons milk.
- Spoon or pipe the batter into the donuts pan, up until 3/4 of their depth. Bake for 15-18 minutes, then et rest for 5 minutes in the pan before unmolding.
- My currently perferred icing options for these are: Kefir (or yogurt) glaze: Mix 3/4 cup powder sugar with 3 tablespoon kefir or yoghurt to make a running glaze. Wait until the donuts are cold and ice them. Nutella glaze: Mix 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons Nutella, and 2-3 tablespoons milk or cream. Wait until the donuts are cold and ice them.