Author Notes: I first discovered black garlic earlier on in the year and love its sticky, almost burnt chewy caramel texture. On further investigation, I found out that our own Amanda, yes. Amanda H was one of its earliest pioneers......So, this is only fit for food52, and me obviously. - Kitchen Butterfly —Kitchen Butterfly
Food52 Review: I made this recipe with regular garlic and it was fantastic. There are a lot of strong flavors in here, but they meld together beautifully. I used a mortar and pestle instead of a food processor, so the spread was rather chunky, not smooth. We ate it with homemade pitas and it was quickly devoured...my 11 year old begged me to make more soon. – WinnieAb —The Editors
Makes: enough for 4 people
1/2 cup black olives (not cured)
1/2 teaspoon smoky paprika
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, dry roasted
1 clove of black garlic, pressed through a mincer (sub regular garlic if unavailable)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 - 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
4 basil leaves
1 teaspoon capers
Olive oil to loosen
- Put all ingredients in a food processor with 1/4 cup oil.
- Blitz and add more oil till you get the consistency you like.
- Serve as a dip, or slather over a sarnie
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Condiment