If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Chickpeas take a warm bath in seasoned olive oil and we'd like to join them. —Sarah Jampel
- 3/4 cup high-quality olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely diced yellow onion (red is good, too!)
- Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- Big pinches sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme (rosemary is good, too! same with sage)
- 1 teaspoon chile flakes
- 1/4 cup cured black olives, pitted and sliced in half
- 1/2 lemon, sliced into thin wheels
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta (ricotta cheese is also highly recommended)
- Smoky paprika, for serving
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Heat the oven to 375° F.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, add a splash of the olive oil. When it's hot, add the onions and sauté until softening and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and scrape into a baking dish: Use an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 if you want softer chickpeas and a 9 x 13 if you'd prefer some get a tad bit crispy on the bottom.
- Add the remaining olive oil, chickpeas, capers, salt, pepper, thyme, chile flakes, olives, and lemon slices to the dish, then stir to combine. Cover tightly with foil and bake 35 to 45 minutes, until the mixture is bubbling and the chickpeas are soft.
- Remove the foil, add the crumbled feta and paprika, and allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving with (or on top of) bread.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!