- Serves approx. 2 cups
This is a great accompaniment to Indian spiced chicken or grilled mahi-mahi. This always gets rave reviews when I make it. I suggest using only fresh ingredients (not from a can or jar) for this recipe. —Sadassa_Ulna
What You'll Need
large fresh ripe pineapple
lime juice, fresh squeezed, strained
fresh ginger root, three inch piece
small red onion, minced
fresh mild green chile
grated lime zest
- Peel and grate the ginger root; lightly press into a fine mesh strainer over a medium mixing bowl to collect the juice. Discard the pulp.
- Slice the green chile into thin slices and then into 1" long pieces. Add to the ginger juice in bowl.
- Add all other ingredients except pineapple, whisk thoroughly.
- Peel and core the pineapple; cut into 1/2" thick slices, then into 1" squares. Add to the mix in bowl. Stir lightly.
- Chill for minimum one hour or overnight, covered.
Recipe by: Sadassa_Ulna
Growing up I was the world's pickiest eater, that is, until my children were born. Karma. Neither of my parents were much into cooking; it was the height of eating fat-free or anything with oat bran added. I taught myself some basics, mostly baking, following the guidelines of a well-worn copy of Joy of Cooking. I was a ballet dancer and a teacher suggested I lose weight. As I began reading about diet and nutrition I became interested in natural foods, which led to a job at a macrobiotic natural foods market in Center City Philadelphia; this was way before Whole Foods came to the area. I learned a lot about food in general. I ate strictly vegan for a while, although I don't now, but I still like it when a recipe can taste great without butter or bacon! In short, my approach to cooking is idiosyncratic, and I don't know very much about cooking meat or proper technique. I love to bake and I am still working on expanding my palate and my repertoire. The hardest part is getting the whole family to try new things! So aside from my food status, I am an architect who likes to garden and play music. I'm married with two kids, and I hope to get a dog someday.