- Serves 10
A wonderful combination of savory, hearty, & cheesy, w/a hint of sweet from the butternut squash. —Holly
What You'll Need
sourdough bread, cut into 1-inch cubes and dried out
cubed butternut squash (about one medium-sized squash)
each salt & pepper
ground sweet Italian chicken or turkey sausage, casing removed
cloves garlic, minced
large onion, finely chopped
celery sticks, finely chopped
fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
fresh thyme leaves, chopped
3 1/2 cups
chicken or turkey stock
Parmesan cheese, grated
Asiago cheese, shredded
(1 stick) butter, melted
nonstick oil spray
- To dry out the bread, cut it into cubes and heat on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. Or cut it into cubes and let it sit out on the counter uncovered for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss butternut squash with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt and pepper. Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the sausage in a saucepan over medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes. Add garlic, onion, celery, sage, and thyme. Sauté for 3 more minutes then remove from heat.
- Remove squash from the oven after 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 375.
- Beat the eggs, and stir them into the chicken stock.
- In a large bowl combine the bread cubes, sausage mixture, baked squash, Parmesan and Asiago cheese, and ½ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Pour half the chicken stock/egg mixture into the bowl, distributing evenly, and gently fold together. *When mixing the bread with the other ingredients, avoid over-work the stuffing or the bread will lose its structure.
- Pour the rest of the chicken stock liquid and the melted butter evenly over the mixture, and gently fold together again.
- Spray a 9" X 13" dish with cooking spray and add the stuffing mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes uncovered.