If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Lentil and Sausage Soup- a cool weather, feel-good soup. Easy to prepare, simple ingredients, and crazy amounts of flavor. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan and some nice crusty bread. —lemonpress
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 pound Italian pork sausage
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups lentils, rinsed
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach, packed
- black pepper, to taste
- grated Parmesan, for garnish
- Heat a large cast iron pot over medium high heat and add in the olive oil.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add in the garlic and sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is crumbled and browned.
- Add in the carrots and cook for another 3 minutes. Add in the lentils. Stir and let everything cook together for another 2 minutes.
- Pour in the beef broth, tomatoes (with juice), tomato paste, rosemary, and oregano. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to low, and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add in the spinach and simmer for 10 more minutes, adding more broth or water if the soup becomes too thick. Season with black pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup with freshly grated Parmesan and some nice crusty bread.