Author Notes: I accidentally bought a jar of roasted red peppers, instead of the sun-dried tomatoes I really wanted. So I used them in this recipe, but do NOT use jarred roasted red peppers when you make this. Roast in the oven, grill or flame char, yes. Jar, no no no. Please. —CookandBeMerry
Makes: 4 sandwiches
cup olive oil
garlic clove, pressed or more to taste
slices French or Italian bread baguettes, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch slices
slices provolone cheese
roasted red peppers, peeled, seeded and cut in 1-inch strips
bunch fresh basil, stems removed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Mix garlic with oil. Lightly brush baking sheet with some of the oil mixture.
- Place half of the bread slices on prepared sheet. Place half of the cheese on bread slices. Top with roasted red peppers. Cover each with a layer of basil leaves.
- Top with remaining cheese and bread slices. Brush tops with garlic oil.
- Bake sandwiches uncovered until bottoms are golden, about 8 to 10 minutes. Turn sandwiches over and brush with more of the oil, as needed.
- Return to oven and bake until second sides are golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve hot or room temperature. Or cut crosswise into 1-inch slices for an appetizer.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Red Pepper Recipe