If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Buttery, flaky puff pastry filled with an egg scramble sautéed with sundried tomatoes, spinach, and mushrooms. Impressive on the eyes yet surprisingly simple to make. The best part? The scramble can be made a day ahead and assembled in the pastry just before baking. —With Salt and Pepper
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil, or olive oil
- 6 cremini mushrooms, small diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cooked spinach, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, chopped (seeds removed)
- 1 green onion, chopped (white and green parts)
- 1/2 cup feta crumbles
- 2/3 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- 7 eggs, whisked
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat and add the coconut oil, or olive oil, if using. Place the mushrooms in the pan and saute for 5-6 minutes until beginning to soften and brown. Add in the spinach through the green onion in the pan and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add in the eggs, reserving about 1 tablespoon for egg wash for the assembled pastry. Use a spatula to slowly fold the eggs together until fully cooked but not overly dry. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and gently stir in the feta cheese.
- Unfold the puff pastry sheet and use a pair of kitchen shears, or a sharp knife, to gently cut from the left and right side of the pastry just to the edge of the center fold. Continue making 1/2 inch cuts all the way down the pastry, about 15-16 per side.
- Carefully spoon the egg scramble down the center portion of the pastry and evenly sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the top.
- Gently fold the side strips in over the eggs and towards the center pinching gently to secure, almost like a braid. Brush all over the top with the reserved egg wash and bake for 25-30 minutes until pastry is fully cooked and brown all over.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Festive, Crowd-Feeding Breakfast