If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This Vegan Barley and Lentil Soup is rich and will fill you up and warm you on a cold winter day. —VibrantPlate
- 1 piece onion
- 3 pieces cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree (triple concentrat)
- 2 pieces medium sized carrots
- 3-4 pieces medium sized potatoes
- 1 cup pearl barley, split-peas & lentils mix
- 500 milliliters vegetable stock
- water as needed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pinch salt, pepper to taste
- 1 pinch red paprika to taste
- 1 pinch fresh chopped herbs: parsley, chives, thyme
- Give the grains a good wash and set aside.
- Peel and slice onions, garlic, carrots and potatoes.
- In a pot, heat a spoon of olive oil and add onion. Gently fry until the onions become translucent. Then, add sliced garlic and carrots and a tea spoon of tomato puree, mix well and sautee for a couple of minutes. Add the grain mix, potatoes and bay leaf and pour over the vegetable stock. Cook on low heat for about 30-40 minutes, until the grain becomes soft. Stir occasionally and add water as needed, if the soup becomes too thick.
- When the soup is done, taste and season if needed with extra salt, pepper and paprika. Add fresh chopped herbs on top and serve.
- I usually season the soup about 10 minutes before it is fully cooked and serve it hot with a slice of fresh bread.