If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A fun twist on the traditional recipe, and an excellent way to use seasonal fall vegetables. —Shani Frymer
Makes about 10 medium size latkes
For the latkes
- 1 medium sized parsnip, peeled
- 4 or 5 sunchokes, depending on size, peeled
- 1/2 small white onion
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Frying oil such as canola, vegetable, or high heat avocado oil.
- Grate the parsnip, onion, and sunchokes into a bowl. It's ok if the sunchokes aren't perfectly peeled, the skin is edible and makes it rustic-looking. Add the salt and pepper, then egg white and mix lightly with your hand or a spatula. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and incorporate. Squeeze the mixture in your hand, it should hold together lightly, if it still feels very wet, add another tablespoon of flour.
- Heat a wide frying pan on high heat, add enough oil to generously coat the bottom of the pan. Use two large soup spoons to spoon and flatten the pancakes into the pan, allowing a little room in between. Cook till golden brown and crispy on both sides. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the oil, season lightly with salt. Serve with scallion yogurt and kimchi sauce.
Scallion yogurt, kimchi sauce
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1/4 cup kimchi + liquid
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or other neutral oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 12 stalks of scallion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a saute pan on medium-high heat, saute red bell pepper, onion and garlic until all ingredients soften and lightly brown, about 2 minutes.
- Throw the bell pepper onion mixture into a blender with the kimchi, kimchi juices, water, olive oil and rice wine vinegar. Blend until totally pureed. Sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Mix yogurt with scallion, lemon juice, salt and pepper to make other dipping sauce.