If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Bring the unexpected. The nights may be getting cooler but that doesn’t mean you can’t bring the heat! Impress your friends with this shareable appetizer. —Coley @ Coley Cooks
For the Fish Cakes:
- 1 pound skinless barramundi fillets, cut into large chunks
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced Chinese long beans or green beans
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the Cucumber Relish:
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1-2 Thai bird chiles, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely minced cilantro
- Crushed peanuts, for garnish, optional
- Place the barramundi pieces, curry paste, kaffir lime leaves, egg white, fish sauce and cornstarch into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to break everything up, scrape down the sides, then let it run until it forms a smooth puree, about one minute. Stir in the sliced Chinese long beans, then cover and place in the refrigerator while you prepare the cucumber relish.
- Whisk together the sugar, fish sauce and vinegar in a medium bowl until the sugar has fully dis-solved. Add the cucumber, chiles, shallot and cilantro and toss to combine. Pour into a serving bowl and top with crushed peanuts if desired.
- Rub your hands with a little bit of oil, then form the mixture into approximately 18 small patties. Heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry the patties in batches until golden brown on both sides, then transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Transfer the fish cakes to a platter with the bowl of cucumber relish on the side. Serve immediately.