If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Granny Smith and Mutsu apples along with fresh cranberries are combined with Honey Apple Butter to make this delicious Apple Cranberry Pie. This pie is sure to be the star of your Holiday table with its lattice and maple leaf pie crust. —Julie | Sweet and Spicy Monkey
Makes 1 - 9" pie
- 1 Double pie crust (store bought or homemade)
- 4 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 4 cups Mutsu apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 12 ounce bag fresh cranberries, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup Honey Apple Butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Cardamom
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 4 teaspoons bourbon
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together lemon juice, Honey Apple Butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, apple pie spice, nutmeg, ginger, sea salt, cardamom, and bourbon. As you peel, core, and dice your apples, toss them into the bowl with sugar and spices and mix to allow the apples to start macerating. You can combine cranberries at this time with apple mixture. After all the apples are in the bowl, mix together so apples and cranberries are covered with sugar and spice mixture, and let sit at room temperature for about 1 to 3 hours.
- You can prepare your pie dough at this time. If using store bought pie crust, remove from refrigerator and bring to room temperature. This helps it roll out easier without cracking (hopefully!).
- After apple cranberry mix has set out, mix together and strain out 1/2 cup of their juices. Add the juice and butter to a small saucepan. Cook over medium to high heat until it becomes thick and syrup-like, about 10 minutes. Remove from stove top.
- Stir in cornstarch and mix in with apples and cranberries, coating all fruit with mixture.
- Pour apple cranberry filling into prepared pie shell.
- Make your pie crust lattice and design and place over the apple cranberry filling as desired.
- Brush egg white over lattice pie crust before adding leaves. This helps "glue" leaves onto lattice. Place leaves where you like over lattice and brush with egg white mixture. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon sugar over the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 425F degrees. After 10 minutes, turn down oven temperature to 350F degrees and continue baking for 40 to 45 minutes.
- Check pie after 20 to 25 minutes. If pie crust is browning around the edges, lightly cover the edges with aluminum foil and continue baking. Pie is completely done when the top crust is lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least 4 hours before cutting into pie so the liquids can cool down and thicken. Otherwise, juices will be runny like water.
- Best served warmed up with vanilla ice cream on top.