If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Easy warming dish with lots of flavor. Even though it sounds a little boring, the flavors come together to make a tasty meal. —rmandell
- 14 ounces black eyes peas (canned or cooked)
- 1 cup barley
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 ounces Turkey bacon
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook barley in water according to the directions. I use quick cooking barley which takes about 10 minutes. (you can also substitute faro)
- Meanwhile, cook turkey bacon. One the turkey bacon is done, heat the olive oil in the same pan, and sauté the onions until soft. Add herbs and salt and pepper.
- Add beans to onions and stir to combine and warm the beans. Add the turkey bacon to the beans and onions.
- Add the spinach to the barley when it is done and leave it in the pot for another minute with the lid on it (you're just trying to wilt the spinach a little bit).Add the barley to the beans. Stir to combine
- Serve as a main dish or side. Top with parmesan cheese if desired, and additional pepper.