If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This hearty and earthy Chicken and Mushroom Wild Rice Soup will get you through even the chilliest of harsh winter evenings! —Paige
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, chopped and stems removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- fresh ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- Put the salt, whole garlic clove and 6 cups cold water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and add the wild rice. Lower the heat but maintain a steady boil. Cover and cook until the rice is tender, about 40-45 minutes. Remove the garlic clove and discard. Drain the rice and set aside.
- Place the porcini in a medium bowl. Pour 1½ cups boiling water over the mushrooms and set aside until soft, about 15 minutes.
- In a large soup pot, melt 1 tablespoon butter with the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the portobello mushrooms, crimini mushrooms and minced garlic to the butter, olive oil mixture. Cook stirring occasionally until the mushrooms start to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove the porcini's from the water using a slotted spoon and strain the remaining liquid. Reserve the liquid and discard the grit. Chop the porcinis and add to the pot with the other mushrooms.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour becomes sticky. Add the sherry, chicken broth and the reserved liquid from the porcini mushrooms. Add the shredded rotisserie chicken. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a steady simmer, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the cooked wild rice to the broth and cook for 10 minutes. Add the cream and soy sauce and cook until heated through. Add chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm!