Author Notes: First of all I will say up front that I haven't prepared this yet, but I have a cooking job scheduled next week and I'm working from my laptop in a hotel room. I work like this frequently. I'm preparing a porchetta which I can make in my sleep but I must have a salad to satisfy the vegan sect (I've heard they are going to be burning copies of "Nose to Tail" this weekend). But I think fennel and radish will complement the porchetta straight off the food truck. Here's what I'm thinking: —pierino
fennel bulbs with fronds
bunch fat red radishes
Extra virgin olive oil
Cracked black pepper
fleur de sel
- Separate fennel tops from bulbs and reserve. Trim the bulbs. See note on slicing below.
- Wash and top off the radishes. Save the tops for "another use"---like soup). Slice them super thin.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Combine above ingredients with your clean hands in a large bowl. Drizzle in some peppery flavored extra virgin olive oil (a California oil would be good). Season with salt and pepper.
- Finely chop the fennel tops and sprinkle those over everything.
- A note on slicing: I aim for the thinnest slices possible, so for the fennel and the onion I turn to my mandoline (Robespierre) and for the radish my hand kyocera slicer (Danton). No matter how accurate you are with a sharp knife these are time savers.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Radish Recipe