This tasty Romanian cake we have found on the site Where is my spoon. It is made of whole apples flavored with cinnamon, raisins and walnuts, poured with the caramel syrup. So, we have slightly changed the recipe; decreased calories and added a flavor of Calvados to the syrup. The cake was indeed special with large apples from our garden harvest, suitable for both fall and winter season. —SweetLaab
- Serves 10
granulated cane sugar
white granulated sugar
pecan or walnuts, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 0C/ 360 0F.
- Place the sugar in the pot containing a thick bottom and heat on the medium fire, when sugar starts to caramelize, stir until brown, then pour it into a form for the cake (22 cm/9 inch in diameter). Spring forms use to leak, so place a baking paper into the bottom and wrap into aluminum from outside. Be careful, the sugar is very hot (I have burnt my finger).
- Set aside until the sugar will harden. In the meantime, prepare the apples. You will need large apples, which fit in the form, place one in the middle and the others around, the best when they touch each other and they cover the bottom.
- Peel the apples and remove the core leaving the apples whole. Use a special kitchen utensil for it, or a long, thin knife. Dip the apples in the lemon juice to prevent them from browning.
- Mix the jam, walnuts, raisins, and cinnamon and fill the holes in the apples with this mixture. Place the filled apples in the form with caramel. Bake for about 25-30 minutes, they should not be too soft yet.
- To make the batter, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff, add 3 tbsp of sugar and continue beating until the snow is stiff and glossy.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the remaining 3 tbsp of sugar until pale and fluffy. Fold the egg whites in the egg yolks and sieve the flour on top. Fold in slowly.
- Pour the batter over the apples and continue baking for about 25 minutes or until the batter is golden brown and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Immediately release the cake from the walls of the form with the help of a knife. Place a plate over the form and invert the cake onto it. As long as the caramel from the oven is melt, it should work well.
- Caramel syrup: place 150 g sugar in a pan, heat it on the mild fire until it starts to caramelize at the bottom. Caramelize completely while stirring, and then add the cubed butter.
- Slowly add the hot water and continue stirring until the mixture boils. Let simmer for a few minutes, while stirring all the time until all the sugar clumps are dissolved and the sauce has thickened slightly. Let it cool down until warm, it should be little thicker. Optionally, add Calvados or your favourite liqueur.
- Sprinkle a half of walnuts over the cake and then pour the caramel syrup on it and around the edges. Sprinkle the rest of walnuts. Serve with coffee or the tea.
- The cake can be stored up to 2 days in the cold.
- More information at http://danieladanaphotographer.blogspot.sk/2017/01/apple-caramel-cake-jablkova-torta-s.html