If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tomato based recipes for me are a continual pursuit for perfection. Every time I think I have a recipe nailed, I find a new way to add more flavour. This is the same for my Tomato and Basil Soup.
You see, as I get older, my taste buds become more refined to tastes I found to awful at times, especially when it comes to raw ingredients.
So I tend to stick to their tinned equivalent, instead of trying them again.
Not so with tomatoes, and this recipe is as useful for soup, as it is for pasta or pizza sauce.
The difference being, when simmering the mixture, leave the lid on for soup, keep the lid off for sauce! —FatLadFood
- 4 Tomatoes
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- 200 milliliters Chicken/Vegetable Stock
- 1 handful Basil
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 5.
- Slice the tomatoes and add them to a baking dish.
- Cover with the balsamic vinegar, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast in the oven for 30mins.
- After 20mins of the roasting time has elapsed, chop and onion and put it into a saucepan, on a medium heat.
- Fry for 5mins, adding the chopped garlic. Fry for a further 5mins.
- Take the tomatoes out of the oven, and add to the onion and garlic. Fry for 5mins further.
- Add in the tin of chopped tomatoes. Fil the tin with chicken stock, and add to the soup base.
- Bring to the boil, and then simmer for 45mins with the lid on the saucepan.
- Take the soup off the heat, and add in the basil. Stir through, and cover with the lid. Leave for 10mins.
- Blitz the soup in a liquidizer, and then pour back into the saucepan.
- Either serve now, or reheat later!