If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I fell in love with baked oatmeal after I tried out two recipes. Then I got a little creative and made my own. This one stays pretty moist for a few days. Baking the oats is easier and much more interesting than cooking it on the stove top. I used Muscovado sugar here because I love the deep, rich flavor it adds. If you are wondering why it looks so dark on top of the oatmeal, it is because of the sugar. You can get as creative as you want and choose combinations to suit your taste and mood :) I like to top it off with yogurt and toasted nuts.. —Marale Garabetian
- 2 cups steel cut oats (I use Bob's Red Mill brand)
- 2 cups milk (whole or 2%)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1-1 1/2 cups blueberries (or any berry you like)
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup Muscovado sugar (you can substitute other sugar, honey or maple syrup)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla exract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut (toast if you wish)
- Toasted nuts (almonds, pecans, and walnuts) as a topping
- yogurt as a topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Toast the steel cut oats and spices in a pan for a few minutes if you wish. Toasting always brings out the flavor and smells wonderful! You can also toast the coconut.
- In a medium bowl, combine the steel cut oats and spices.
- Add the baking powder and salt and give it a good whisk.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg, vanilla extract, melted butter, milk, Muscovado sugar, and applesauce until combined.
- Layer the bottom of an 8 x 8 inch pan with blueberries and top with the oat mixture.
- Sprinkle some unsweetened coconut on top of the oat mixture unless you toasted it and mixed it with the oats and spices.
- Pour the milk mixture on top and add some more blueberries.
- Give it a good mix with a spoon for even distribution and bake for about 40 minutes or until cooked inside. If you used Muscovado sugar, don't worry if the top looks really brown. It is not burnt.
- Enjoy with some toasted nuts and yogurt :)