If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A flaky buttery crust filled with sautéed spinach, sage pancetta, gruyere cheese and leeks. —Vicky | Things I Made Today
For the crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup ice water
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, and cheese. Add butter and using your fingers or a pastry cutter, work the butter into the flour until small, pea-sized clumps form. Add water, 2 tablespoons at a time and work into flour until dough forms. Use only as much water as needed for dough to form together.
- Form dough into a disk and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate while you make filling.
For the filling and assembling the hand pie;
- 6 ounces pancetta, chopped into 1/4 - 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 leeks, white and light-green parts only, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 egg whisked
- For the filling: In a large skillet, cook pancetta over medium-high heat until fat renders and pancetta starts to get crispy, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to a paper towel lined paper to drain. Add leeks to pan with pancetta drippings and cook until they soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in spinach and sage and cook until spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir to coat. Add in broth and cook until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pancetta. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Let cool.
- For the hand pie: Preheat oven to 350F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out rough to about ¼ - ½ inch thick. Using a small bowl or cookie cutter, cut out 12 circles about 4½ inches in diameter. You may need to re-roll scraps to get all the circles.
- Place six of the circles on a baking sheet. Scoop about ¼ cup of spinach and pancetta filling into the center of each circle, staying about ½ an inch away from the edges.
- Using your finger or a small pastry brush, brush the edges of the circles with egg wash. Place remaining six circles on top and pinch edges shut. Optionally, use a fork to crimp the edges shut.
- Brush tops of hand pies with remaining egg wash, then cut small slits in the tops of each pie. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until pies are golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.