If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It was hard to resist something called "Stuffed Red Pepper Soup" when I saw it (for the inspiration, see: http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2017/01/low-carb-stuffed-pepper-soup.html#more). I modified this a bit, but the essence came from here. You can always tone down the spicy but substituting bulk Italian sausage for the Chorizo and cutting back on the hot spices. I went with pork and chicken stock instead of beef and beef stock, and added black beans. —Brian Coppola
Makes 16 cups
- 3 sweet onions, chopped (1/2 inch)
- 3 red bell peppers, chopped (1/2 inch)
- 1 large Anaheim or other hot pepper (diced fine)
- 1 pound Chorizo (or bulk Italian sausage)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 12 ounces low salt tomato paste
- 10 ounces low salt diced tomatoes & chilis
- 11 ounces tomato puree
- 4 cups low salt chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 32 ounces black beans, drained
- 4 cups riced cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
- Partially caramelize the onions in some EVOO, then add the peppers to complete cooking both. Add half of the spices at the end, mix well and move to the soup pot.
- Brown the chorizo and the turkey (you can use the oil in the chorizo for this), and add to the pot.
- Add beans, tomato puree, diced tomatoes/chili, and tomato paste, broth and water. Stir well. Add the remaining spices and the arrowroot. Mix well and simmer for a few hours.
- Chop and then rice a head of cauliflower. Add to the soup and continue to simmer for at least 30-40 minutes before serving.
- Top with grated cheese and/or sour cream.