If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Made with love by Chef David Danielson, Executive Chef of the Kentucky Derby, this delectable treat couples just the right amount of bourbon with chocolate and sea salt into an irresistible tart that will make your significant other fall in love with you all over again.
*Note: Candy Thermometer is Needed for this Recipe —Chef David Danielson
- 1 ¾ cups All-Purpose Flour (sifted)
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Stick of Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 6 4 ¼ x ½ inch tart shells with removable bottoms
- In a stand mixer or you can use a hand mixer; cream the butter and sugar. Add the egg, the yolk and the vanilla. Beat to combine. The mixture may have a curdled look to it, but when you add the flour and beat, it comes back together.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the tartlet pans on a rimmed baking sheet. Spray the center of the pans only. Do not spray the sides.
- Divide into 9 equal sized balls. Divide 3 of the balls in half. So there are now 6 large and 6 small balls. Roll one large piece into a rope about 12 ½ inches long.
- Fit into the side of the pan, making sure the ends overlap. Press into the side of the tart shell, overlapping the two ends. Flatten one small piece and place it in the bottom of the shell making sure the edges are well-sealed together. Prick with a fork.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Remove the sides of the pans. Remove the bottom.
Bourbon–Sea Salt Caramel & Chocolate Ganache
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1/2 cup Light Corn Syrup
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 Can of Sweet Condensed Milk (14 oz.)
- 1 Stick of Unsalted Butter (cut into small pieces)
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 16 ounces Chopped Chocolate or Chocolate Chips
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- Bring sugar, corn syrup and ¼ cup of water to a boil in a medium saucepan or medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Cook, swirling pan occasionally, until mixture turns a deep amber color, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in sweetened condensed milk and butter. The mixture will bubble vigorously, whisk until smooth.
- Fit pan with a candy thermometer and return to medium low heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until thermometer registers 240 F.
- Place the chocolate into a medium mixing bowl.
- Remove from heat and whisk in bourbon and kosher salt. Pour into cooled tart shells and let cool.
- Heat the heavy cream in a heavy quart-sized sauce pot. Heat the cream on medium high heat until it just begins to simmer; be careful not to allow cream to boil over.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and let stand for 2 minutes. Gently stir several times until chocolate mixture is smooth. Pour ganache over the top of the cooled caramel in the tart shells.
- Sprinkle with some flaky sea salt to finish. Allow to cool so it well set before serving.
More Great Recipes: