If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a combination of sweet, sour and spicy flavors that combine to form a smooth, tasty and versatile BBQ sauce. —Greg Fontenot
Makes 2 cups
- 8 ounces dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped jalapenos, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipolte peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1/4 cup molases
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Mix dates with jalapenos, onion, cilantro, chipotles, vinegar, chili powder, cumin and salt in a heavy 2 quart sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook 15 minutes until peppers are tender.
- Remove from heat and using a hand blender or food processor puree until smooth.
- Return to heat and add tomato sauce mixing until smooth. Stir in molasses, mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook an additional 15 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 3 weeks. Extra sauce can be used on any grilled meats.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Dates