If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tofu Teriyaki Buddha Bowl with Roasted Veggies has all the essentials that make up a healthy Buddha bowl: a brown rice base, roasted veggies, crispy tofu, and a delicious Medjool date teriyaki sauce. Perfect for a vegetarian meal! —Jessica Dang Norby
Serves 3-4 people
- 1, 14 ounces package extra firm tofu, diced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small crowns broccoli, sliced
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, sliced, diced
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- Kosher salt, freshly grated pepper
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup boiled water
- 1/2 inch ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 pieces garlic cloves
- 4 pieces Natural Delights Medjool dates, pitted
- 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Prepare brown rice according to directions on bag. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Soak Medjool dates in a bowl with boiled water, set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss squash in 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread evenly on a baking sheet. Arrange broccoli in a single layer throughout layer of butternut squash. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Roast veggies for 30-40 minutes, or until broccoli is slightly browned and crisp on edges, flipping vegetables halfway through. Remove from heat and set aside.
- While veggies are roasting, combine dates, water, ginger, and garlic in food processor. Process until smooth and no large date pieces remain. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add diced tofu and arrange in a single layer. Do not flip. Allow tofu to pan-fry for about five minutes before flipping. Pan-fry for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until outer edges are golden and slightly crispy. Be careful of oil splatter!
- When tofu is finished: off the heat and place tofu onto a paper towel lined plate to drain excess oil.
- While tofu is frying, transfer teriyaki sauce to a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat. When sauce begins to bubble, simmer and cover. Whisk occasionally. After about ten minutes, aroma and taste of ginger and garlic should be subdued.
- Pour up to 1/4 cup of sauce into a measuring cup and quickly whisk in cornstarch until no clumps remain. Add cornstarch mixture back into saucepan and combine well, until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat.
- To arrange Buddha bowl: begin with a layer of brown rice, followed by portions of roasted veggies and tofu. Finish with desired amount of teriyaki sauce.
- Serve hot or store rice, veggies, and sauce separately in airtight containers in the fridge.
- Because there are many steps to build this Buddha bowl, multi-tasking helps. Examples: while brown rice is cooking, prepare veggies. While veggies are cooking, prepare tofu and teriyaki sauce.