If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad is light n’ lovely. It’s aromatic and refreshing. It’s also a great choice when you need lots of flavor but don’t have a lot of time. The cucumber being fresh, and fragrant is an important part of the success of this dish. This is why I use Persian cucumbers. The basil’s slightly sweet, lemony and minty aroma delightfully compliments the green and fruity fragrance of the cucumber.
If you don’t have Thai basil, sweet basil works really well too. —Basil and Roses
- 6 Persian cucumbers
- 1 medium red onion
- 4 tablespoons chopped Thai or sweet basil
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seed oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- salt + pepper to taste
- Cut onions into thin rings, then soak in water for 10-15 minutes to reduces the pungent bite.
- In the meantime, cut cucumbers into rings, then cut into half moon shapes (or whatever shape your heart desires).
- Chop basil.
- To make the dressing, combine rice vinegar, soy sauce, salt, pepper, honey (limit salt since you have sodium from the soy sauce).
- Slowly add in Sesame oil and while whisking at the same time. This helps emulsify the dressing so it won’t separate.
- Toss Cucumber, onion, basil + dressing together and enjoy!