If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a popular Turkish Meze made from just 3 ingredients, dried fava beans, onions and olive oil. Meze is a selection of food served as an appetizer course usually served with Rakı because they are a perfect complement to the aniseed flavours of the traditional drink. Mezes vary across the country creating a vast array of specialities , many with strong regional associations. But it is more than just a starter. It is an experience. In Turkey, eating meze is a social activity; it’s chatting with friends and drinking rakı around the table for hours on end, while sharing spoons of hot and cold mezes, dipping bread into pickled or olive oil dressings, listening to traditional Turkish music . The beauty of this dish is that you can mold it into any shape you desire which result in aspic-like beauties on your table. This time I added purple carrots to give it a more vibrant color since it is usually a grayish light green. Adding fresh boiled broad beans completes the purple canvas. İt is always and always served with dill,( it is a sin to separate the duo ) sliced red onions and a good drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. You can try the original recipe without adding purple carrots. Enjoy! —Piper Nigrum (GamzE)
- 250 gr dried fava beans
- 2 purple carrots
- 2 red onions
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh broad beans
- 1/4 bunch dill
- Soak the fava beans over night
- Place the fava beans in a deep pot. Add enough water to reach two fingers above the beans. Add roughly chopped onions and sugar. Bring to a boil. And simmer until soft (25-30 min) Stir occasionally. Eventually the beans will break down and the end result should look like a thick puree.
- Wash and peel the carrots. Cut them in small chunks. Add little water and cook until soft. With a hand blender blend the carrots.
- Blend the fava beans add seasoning add the purple carrots and olive oil and mix well. Pour the mixture in a large serving dish or small cups. Put cling film on top and refrigerate at least for 5-6 hours .
- Turn the cups over. Serve with sliced onions, dill and blanched fresh broad beans and drizzle EVOO on top. You can serve this dish while it is warm with toasted bread.