Author Notes: Fried Kelp Chips (Dashima Twigak 다시마 튀각) is a Korean kelp recipe that you can make very easily at home. As simple as it is to make, the flavors are certainly not. These nutty, crunchy, sweet and salty chips are full of umami flavor. —JinJoo Lee
Makes: 60 chips
piece 9"x15" sheet dried kelp (kombu)
cups vegetable oil
- Heat vegetable oil in a fryer or a deep frying pan.
- While oil is heating up, wipe both sides of kelp with a wet towel to remove any extra salt residue.
- Cut kelp into 1.5 x 1.5 inch squares with scissors.
- Prepare a plate lined with paper towel or fryer basket right next to the fryer.
- When oil is heated enough (150°C/300°F) throw in a handful of kelp pieces and start frying. The kelp pieces should balloon or flower in just seconds. When they have floated to the top, leave them to fry a couple more seconds and using a spider or a fryer basket, take them out onto plate prepared in step 4.
- Once it’s cooled a little, sprinkle sugar generously on both sides.