Author Notes: Easy brussel sprouts recipe with kimchi and pancetta. —JinJoo Lee
pound brussels sprouts
cup napa cabbage kimchi, chopped
teaspoons vegetable oil
pinch salt and pepper
pinches sesame seeds
- Heat oven to 400°F. Cut brussels sprouts in 1/2 if they are big. If brussels sprouts are small, you can use them whole. Chop kimchi and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbs vegetable oil in an ovenproof pan on medium high heat on the stove. Sauté pancetta in oil for short time, about 1 minute.
- Add brussels sprouts to pan with pancetta -with cut side down. Season with salt and pepper. Because pancetta and kimchi are both salty, season lightly with salt (a little less than 1/8 tsp).
- Put pan with brussels sprouts and pancetta in oven and roast for 5 minutes.
- In the mean time, in a small frying pan add 1 tsp vegetable oil and sauté kimchi and gochujang for 2-3 minutes.
- After roasting brussels sprouts for 5 minutes (from step 4), take out pan from oven and add sauteed kimchi from 5 and toss everything together, coating brussels sprouts with oil. Sprinkle 1 tsp sugar and mix again.
- Put everything back in the oven and roast for another 15 minutes. This will produce soft brussel sprouts. For crunchier sprouts, reduce roasting time. Check doneness after 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and serve!!