If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This ooey gooey spinach and artichoke mozzarella bites, served with marinara sauce, are a perfect way to welcome spring. Great as an appetizer to bring to a party or enjoy with a couple friends! Be warned...they're addictive ;) —Ali Conklin
Makes 36 bites
For The Filling
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 6oz jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 ounces cream cheese, slightly softened
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus some for sprinkling
- 4 eggs
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups canola oil, or other neutral frying oil
- marinara sauce, to serve
- In a food processor, combine all filling ingredients. Process on low until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Line a 9x5 loaf pan with wax paper or parchment paper. Pour filling into pan and spread evenly. Freeze for 1 hour to stiffen the mixture but NOT freeze it through.
- In the meantime, on a small plate mix breadcrumbs and oregano. On another small plate, mix flour, cayenne, and 1/4 tsp salt. In a small bowl, mix 4 eggs with a fork. Set all aside.
- Remove cheese mixture from freezer and remove from loaf pan. Cut into 36 pieces (9 pieces by 3 pieces).
- With each piece, coat in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs, then egg, then breadcrumbs. This gives a double layer of coating on the bites which prevents the cheese from leaking and gives them more structure as they fry.
- In a medium sized sauté pan, add canola oil. You will want enough to come halfway up each bite as they fry. Heat oil up to 350-360 degrees. If you don't have a thermometer, you can stick a wooden spoon inside the oil. If it starts to steadily bubble around the spoon then you are ready to go! If it bubbles vigorously then you should lower it.
- Place bites in pan evenly spaced and fry 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown (4-6 minutes total). Remove and place on paper towel lined plate to soak up excess oil. While still hot, sprinkle with just a little more salt.
- Serve immediately with marinara sauce on the side. Enjoy!