If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My 100% vegan Creamy Cauliflower Saffron Soup is smooth and creamy with a warm essence of saffron that will make your family swoon .. over cauliflower! Easy to make, this soup can be in your bowl in under 30 minutes. Sluuurp!...
Love cauliflower.. I'll admit that I often avoid buying cauliflower simply because it looks a tad intimidating. Giant. White. Lumpy. Hard. But one cold night I gave cauliflower my best shot, and success! Love cauliflower with this vegan soup, perfect on a chilly night. —kathynyc
Serves 10 cups
- 1 cup plain soy milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon saffron strands
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups white potato, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 cups plain soy milk
- 4 cups cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried herbs, mixed
- Place large soup pot on stove over med-high heat. Add EVOO and chopped onion. Saute for a minute.
- Add in chopped potato, apple cider vinegar, veggie broth, soy milk and chopped cauliflower. Cover with lid and allow soup to 'steam cook' cauliflower and potato for about 4 minutes.
- When cauliflower and potatoes are tender, add in your dried herbs, pepper, mustard and maple syrup. Fold these items into the soup - let cook for another minute.
- Turn off heat and remove pot from stove. Transfer soup to a large mixing bowl to cool for a few minutes.
- While soup mixture is cooling, turn stove back on. Place your soup pot back on medium heat. Add your roux liquids and whisk in the liquid bit by bit. Try not to create clumps. When all the flour has dissolved into a thick liquid, add in the saffron strands. Turn off heat, and set aside. The saffron will bloom slowly in the hot roux.
- Carefully transfer soup mixture to a high speed blender, add in the parsley - and blend in batches until creamy/smooth.
- In the last batch of soup you blend, add the roux. Then combine all the blended soup and fold gently. Eat at once or simmer until ready to serve. Garnish with fresh raw cauliflower crumbles, chopped parsley and a drizzle of EVOO.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cauliflower Recipe