If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Toasting the cornmeal before adding it to the batter enhances the corn flavor. —Liz | inspired by the seasons
Makes 12 cakes
For the cornmeal cakes
- 1/2 cup Coarse cornmeal
- 1 cup All purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Granulated sugar
- 3 Green onions, minced white and light green parts
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil for cooking
Black Bean & Corn Salsa
- 1/3 cup Cooked black beans (rinse if using canned)
- 1/2 cup Corn, fresh or frozen
- 4 Green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Fresh lime juice
- 1 Clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- n a 10" skillet warmed under medium heat, add the cornmeal and toast until light golden brown. This will take about 3 minutes with intermittent stirring. Immediately transfer to a large bowl to stop the cooking process. After it has cooled for about 5 minutes (which is a perfect time to make the accompanying salsa) add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix together with a whisk.
- In a small bowl combine the egg, buttermilk and sugar. Then add to the larger bowl, stirring only until the mixture is barely smoothed out. Stir in the green onions.
- Add oil to a heavy nonstick skillet and place over a medium high heat on the stove. Ladle on the better using a 1/4 c scoop. Flip the cakes when bubbles form at the top, about 3 minutes then cook 2 minutes on the other side.
- For Salsa - In a small jar, combine olive oil, lime juice, garlic and salt.
- In a small bowl add black beans, corn and green onions pour in lime mixture and toss together. Serve on top of cornmeal cakes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with a Smarty Pants Trick or Technique