I bought cauliflower to experiment with since our usual cauliflower recipes are, well, usual. My husband is on an egg roll kick so I had leftover wrappers, sesame oil, rice vinegar, etc. These actually turned out quite tasty and not too far off from the usual cabbage filled version. - nannydeb —nannydeb
Test Kitchen Notes
The filling in this recipe really works -- the cauliflower is a great substitute for cabbage and the hint of sesame from the oil ties it all together. I made a dipping sauce from apricot jam and sriracha that was a nice compliment to the flavors in the eggrolls. I'll take these over traditional eggrolls any day! – FrozenFoodie —The Editors
- Serves 2
vegetable or peanut oil, plus lots more for frying
red bell pepper, minced
clove garlic, minced
fresh ginger, grated
fresh jalapeno, minced
1 1/2 cups
cauliflower, chopped small
green onions, chopped
roasted, salted peanuts, chopped small
toasted sesame oil
tamari or soy sauce
egg roll wrappers
hot Chinese mustard
- In a skillet or pot, start heating the oil for frying.
- In another large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil.
- To the second skillet, add all vegetables and cook 8-10 minutes or until cauliflower softens. Add the peanuts, sesame oil, tamari, and rice vinegar. Cook another 2-3 minutes or until most of the liquid is gone.
- Put cooked veggies in a colander to drain. You want the filling to be as dry as possible.
- To check to see if the frying oil is hot enough, I pinch a bit of wrapper and drop it in and see if it fries up. If not, wait a little longer and check again.
- To prepare to make the egg rolls, put a little water in a small bowl and some corn starch in another small bowl.
- On a clean work surface, lay out an egg roll wrapper and dust it with cornstarch.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of the filing in the middle and start rolling it up tight. Tuck the two outside corners in about mid-way and continue rolling.
- Wet the last corner with the water and roll up. Set aside until you have them all rolled.
- When the oil is hot, carefully place the prepared egg rolls in the pan.
- Fry the egg rolls for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with hot Chinese mustard and/or Sriracha sauce.