If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Charring lettuce adds drama and a delicious smokey sweet crunch to salads. Choose dense hearts of lettuce so that they retain some crunch. Char halves of lemon too, to squeeze over the top. Add sharp grapefruit and creamy avocado for a contrast of taste and texture. I used a griddle pan but if you have a BBQ that would be ideal. —morning glory
Serves 2-3 as a side
- 2 baby gem lettuces
- 1 avocado
- 1 ruby grapefruit
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- Black onion seeds to scatter
- Walnut oil to drizzle
- Peel the grapefruit and divide into slices, minus the pith. Set aside. You may not need it all.
- Slice each lettuce into 4 wedges along their length. Heat a griddle pan and place the cut sides of the lettuce down on the pan. Turn them once to char both cut sides.
- Place the lemon halves, cut side down on the griddle pan and cook until charred.
- Halve the avocado, remove the stone and cut into slices.
- Assemble the salad as shown, drizzle with walnut oil and scatter with black onion seeds.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with a Smarty Pants Trick or Technique