Author Notes: This recipe was selected for The New York Times "Reader's Recipes: The Potluck" (Oct. 6, 2010) by food52. —S. Somboun
pound Fresh Asparagus (20 stalks)
teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper
pieces Paper Thin Slices of Imported Italian Prosciutto
- Preheat the oven at 375 degrees.
- Wash the asparagus and trim the bottom because it will be too tough to chew. I usually snap the end of an asparagus or two and this will give you a good idea of how much of the stem to cut off.
- Lay out the asparagus on the baking sheet and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Make sure that every single spear is evenly coated.
- Season with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Place into the oven and let it roast for approximately 15 minutes.
- Let the asparagus slightly cool until it’s easy to handle and individually wrap the spears with the prosciutto making sure to keep the tip of the asparagus exposed.
- The prosciutto will slightly melt and grab onto the warm asparagus. Leave some asparagus unwrapped because there may be vegetarians or people that don’t eat pork especially if you are doubling this recipe for a larger crowd.
- Arrange on a nice white platter and serve immediately or at room temperature. It’s fabulous either way — enjoy!