If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: this is a really good entree side combo meal. i like it when something from the entree or side helps out with the other. in this case, the shrimp shells from the entree make a broth the cook the rice in; super shrimpy, spicy, tasty meal. —eva liebovitz
shrimp, peppers, & onions
- 1 pound raw shrimp, shell on
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 tomato
- 1 white onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil (i use grapeseed)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 1 lime
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 carrot
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3-4 cups shrimp stock
- 2-3 cups rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- shell your shrimp. set raw shrimp aside in separate bowl and marinate in lime/lime juice, cajun seasoning, and cumin. keep the shells.
- roughly chop the red onion and carrot. smash the cloves of garlic. combine with shells and some oil in a pot and cook over medium until the shells are pink. then add about three cups of water and cook for about an hour; this is your shrimp stock.
- slice up red pepper, and chop the onion and tomato. take the poblano pepper and put it directly over a flame and rotate until all of the skin has blistered-- use a paper towel to rub the skin off and slice it up.
- put all the veggies in a sautee pan and cook over medium heat until they all begin to soften. add shrimp with all the seasonings and lime. stir occasionally until shrimp are pink and cooked through and peppers/onions are all softened.
- meanwhile, pour your shrimp stock through a sieve and return to pot. set to boil and add rice. lower to a simmer and cover for about 30 min, or until all of the liquid has been absorbed. stir in butter and seasonings.
- serve shrimp, peppers & onions over rice and finish with a little cajun seasoning or paprika over the top.