Author Notes: Everything about this salad is magical. From the crispy seared beef–to the crunchy radishes, carrots, and cucumbers. Then texture in wonton strips and peanuts, and drizzle with a splash of ginger lime freshness. I’m making this steak all summer. Yes, ALL SUMMER. I will probably make it when you come over too. And when you make it I think your neighbors might peak over the grill to see what smells so darn good.
Spring is another word for dyslexia in Minnesota. It’s warm, then rainy, then snowy in parts. Our family rebelled and snuck outside for dinner on the patio this week. I highly encourage it and found it a most therapeutic way to get through mid-week.
I had the butchers butterfly two organic chickens and then I marinated them in the most delicious Italian seasonings–slathered them up and started the grill.
Why is brick chicken so incredible? Because flattening the bird and weighing it down on the grill gives it a perfectly crisp skin and tender chicken. Plate this with a simple arugula, spinach salad with toasted french bread and red wine vinaigrette. Ahhhh….. Every bite is healthy and memorable.
P.S. Bricks cost $1.00 at Home Depot or free when you scrounge around in the garage. —Tonja Engen
pounds Chickens Butterflied (2) *Ask the butcher to do this
cup Olive Oil
cup Fresh Lemon Juice
pieces Garlic, minced
tablespoons Fresh Rosemary, minced
tablespoons Fresh Safe, minced
tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Cover the two bricks with foil
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- In a bowl, add all marinade ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Place chickens skin side down in a large baking dish and season with salt and pepper. Pour marinade over the chicken. Cover the dish and chill at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Spray grill rack with nonstick spray. Heat the grill over medium heat. Remove chicken from marinade. Place chicken, skin side down, on grill. Place foil-wrapped bricks atop chicken. Cover and grill until skin is crispy and brown, about 15 minutes. Remove bricks. Flip chicken over using tongs. Replace bricks and cook, covered, until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes longer. Let chicken rest 10 minutes.
- While chicken is resting slice lemon in 4 quarters and place on grill. Cook until slightly charred, turning often, about 1 minute. Serve alongside for squeezing over chicken.