If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you 're familiar with Paella ,you know it is typically a blend of seafood, chicken, sausage, white rice and safron. But I, for one, am not a big fan of Mussels or Oysters, nor greasy Sausage & White Rice . So in the spirit of Spain & The Mediterranean , I've blended together Paella's most sacred "Safron" ( Crocus Sativa ) - being harvested now (Oct) in Spain & Greece with Spanish Green Olives & Pimentos, Fire Roasted Red Peppers, Capers, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Garlic, Onions, Hearts of Palm and Artichokes plus the Exotic Queen of Mushrooms -Her Lady "Shitake" whom I've married to the Exalted King of Rices-" Bhutan" ( Burgandy colored with a rich aromatic flavor, & slighly chewy). With just a touch of Spanish sea salt ,herbs and spices, cooked to perfection you'll have your guests begging for more. Optional to add asparagus and/or Jumbo Shrimp if desired. - micki barzilay —micki barzilay
Food52 Review: With its nods to both Spanish and Italian cuisine, micki barzilay's riff on vegetarian-style paella contains some lovely vibrant flavors. I especially liked how she infuses robust flavor into the rice with generous amounts of mostly pantry ingredients; dried oregano, garlic, onions, and saffron (although next time, I might up the saffron so its flavor shines through more prominently) yet the vegetables themselves taste clean and bright. I added just 1/2 tablespoon of salt since the olives, capers, artichokes, and hearts of palm all had added salt. I would especially recommend adding the optional shrimp as it adds another layer of plump, juicy flavor to the paella. – cookinginvictoria —The Editors
- 4 cups Bhutan Red Rice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces Butter ( organic preferred)
- 4 cups water
- 2 sweet yellow onions
- 1 bulb garlic ( finely diced)
- 12 ounces green olives stuffed with pimentos ( Spanish preferred)
- 2 ounces capers
- 8-10 ounces fire roasted red peppers ( cut and sliced)
- 10-12 ounces artichoke hearts ( drained)
- 10-12 ounces hearts of palm
- 2 cups green peas ( shelled)
- 1 pound shitake mushrooms ( sliced)
- 10 threads of Safron
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon Spanish or Greek course salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 12 -optional Jumbo Shrimp ( cooked, shelled, deveined)-Optional
- 8-10 stalks asparagus- cut into bite size pieces ( optional)
- Place Olive Oil into your Paella Pan or Large Skillet and add finely diced garlic & onions, Brown slightly and add the Bhutan Rice and continue to brown for a few more minutes on low heat. Add water ,salt, white pepper, oregano & saffron, turning up heat to medium, Cover & allow rice , herbs & spices & the liquid cook for 15-20 min. then add the olives & pimentos ,roasted peppers, capers, hearts of palm, artichoke hearts (optional asparagus and shrimp). Continue to cook till rice is done -(soft but still chewy). Add butter & shitakes & cook till mushrooms are soft. Serve hot directly out of the pan to your guests.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Paella