If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: BBQ Lentil Balls. Simple plant based ingredients of lentils, rice, mushrooms, and BBQ sauce. Vegan protein packed dish! Great as a post work meal or to bring to outdoor BBQ events! —VeganWCurves
Makes 10 lentil balls
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe's Quick-Cook Organic Brown Basmati Rice (or any brown rice you have on hand)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups cooked lentils (1 can of lentils will do)
- 1/8 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon Pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons Vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Cook brown rice according to directions and set aside.
- Next you are going to make your flax egg. Take a small bowl, add flax seed, water and mix well. Set aside.
- Next add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a large pan and heat over medium high heat. Add chopped onions and mushrooms. Cook until vegetables are fully translucent. Once cooked turn off heat and set aside.
- Open your can lentil, pour into a colander and rinse excess sodium off. Add to food processor.
- Then add cook veggies, cooked rice, cilantro, salt, garlic powder, dried basil, breadcrumbs,1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and liquid smoke to food processor. Blend in your food processor fully until mixture is completely combined. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
- Take mixture and add to a bowl. If the mixture is to wet, put in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes so that it can stiffen up.
- Start to form your meat balls placing each one on a pan medium size pan. Place in the refrigerator for an hour so to help balls stay firm. The won't fall apart when cooked the more set they are.
- Once fully set, remove from refrigerator, grab a pan, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Once oil is hot place each ball in hot oil pan and heat all the way through for about 2 minutes on each side until the lentil balls form a caramelized coating on each side. Do not leave unattended.
- Add 2 tablespoon of BBQ sauce to pan and turn down heat. Make sure you coat every lentil ball and simmer for a 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 2 minutes. Serve with your favorite side dish.