Warm quinoa and roasted butternut salad
October 24, 2010
- Serves 4
I dreamt about this salad for days after eating it at a local restaurant. The combination of flavors and textures are divine and after nothing more than a few hints from our server as to the ingredients ( after much pleading from me )this is what I came up with. —foodfanatic
What You'll Need
- Orange Vinaigrette
freshly squeezed orange juice
white balsamic vinegar
salt and freshly ground pepper
- Salad assembly:
butternut squash cubed into 1 inch pieces
salt and freshly ground black pepper
haricot vert, trimmed
large Granny Smith apple, peeled and cubed into 1/2" pieces
Swiss chard, ribs removed and coarsely shredded
- Bring the orange juice to a simmer in a small saucepan. Reduce until the juice yields about 1/3 cup. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk the honey and vinegar into the cooled orange juice and than slowly add the olive oil.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Coat the butternut cubes lightly in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the butternut in a 400 degree oven on a rimmed baking sheet for approx. 15 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly
- Meanwhile blanch the haricot vert for one minute in a pot of boiling water and then immerse in ice water to halt cooking. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and add the beans, apple and swiss chard. Season with salt and pepper and saute until crisp-tender , about 5 minutes. Add a quarter of the dressing to deglaze the pan. Add this mixture to the butternut squash.
- Bring the vegetable broth to a boil and add the quinoa and rosemary. Gently boil the quinoa for 15 minutes and then drain, discarding the rosemary.
- Toss the warm quinoa and Marcona almonds with butternut mixture, adding the dressing. Season with additional salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve immediately and enjoy !
See what other Food52ers are saying.