Author Notes: BOU is a better for you line of bouillon cubes for creative cooks at all skill levels. Launched by innovative food entrepreneurs, Robert Jakobi and Kunal Kohli, the cube is a healthier, tastier and higher quality version of the pantry staple. Using a US-based proprietary manufacturing process, BOU uses natural, non-GMO ingredients to produce hassle free flavor at your finger-tips with 30 percent less sodium than the other leading brands. BOU is a kitchen must-have for elevating the flavor of any meal from soups to stews, grilled meats to vegetable stir-fries. BOU is Gluten free and comes in three flavors – chicken, beef, and vegetable. Products are available for purchase at stores across the New York-Metro area, as well as online at Fresh Direct. —Staff
large white onion, thinly sliced
garlic cloves, thinly sliced
BOU chicken cubes
cups butternut squash (1 large squash); peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
tablespoons grass-fed butter
cup raw shelled pumpkin seeds
tablespoons chopped fresh sage
extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 325. Lined a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large soup pot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, ½ teaspoon salt and some black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft about 5-6 min. Add garlic and cook until onions begin to caramelize, another 5-6 min.
- Add 6 cups of water and the BOU cubes to the pot. Using a wooden spoon, scrape up brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the butternut squash and bring the water to a boil then lower heat to medium-low. Stir, then cover and cook until the squash is very soft, about 25 min.
- Melt the butter in a small pan over medium-low heat. Let it bubble until it is golden brown about 12 minutes. In a bowl, toss the brown butter, pumpkin seeds and sage plus a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread the seeds in an even layer on the baking sheet. Bake for about 20 min until golden brown, stirring a few times.
- Carefully transfer contents of the pot to a blender and puree until smooth. Adjust seasoning.
- Garnish with pumpkin seeds and extra fresh sage.