Author Notes: If you love the classic pub snack ‘scotch eggs’ then these delicious, healthy alternatives are not to be missed. We’ve created them using lean turkey mince and coated in ground almonds instead of breadcrumbs to create a nutritious snack that saves on calories.
The recipe can be found here - http://www.mynutricounter.com/recipe-scotch-eggs/
grams ground almonds
grams lean turkey mince
teaspoon fresh sage
piece shallot, finely diced
teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- Gently fry the chopped shallot in a frying pan until browned, then set aside to cool.
- Place 6 of the eggs in a pan of boiling water and leave on a high heat for 5 minutes, then remove and soak them in cold water.
- Break the shells off each of the eggs, then pat them with kitchen roll to remove any moisture (this will make it easier for the turkey to stick to the eggs).
- Mix together the ground turkey, fried shallot, herbs and spices in a large bowl, then divide into 6 equal parts.
- Flatten the turkey mixture, then place each egg into the centre and gently fold the turkey mixture so it covers the whole egg. Repeat with all 6 eggs.
- Crack the last egg into a bowl and whisk, then coat the turkey in egg and roll in the almonds.
- Preheat the oven to 170C/340F, and leave the eggs for 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes.