If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Creamy, tangy, veggie riddled, down-home, Island-style potato salad, kicked up with a marvelous little blast of fresh jalapeno, just to keep Pele the Fire Goddess smiling. —TheLastWonton
Makes a nice big bowl
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Maui, Vidalia or red onion, thinly sliced into 1/2 circles
- 2 fresh jalapenos, 1 sliced thin into rings, 1 finely chopped (seeds included)
- 2 pounds new red, or golden fleshed potatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup dry (uncooked) ditali pasta (or other smallish pasta)
- 2 eggs, hard boiled, peeled, smooshed finely with a fork
- 1 cup (scant) crispy celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mini cucumbers, quartered lengthwise, chopped into small chunks
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl mix together red wine vinegar, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt. Add onions and jalapenos. Marinate at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving pickling juice.
- Put potatoes in a large pot, cover with cold water, add 2 tablespoons salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Turn down heat to maintain an easy boil and cook until just tender. Drain potatoes and rinse well with cold water to stop cooking and to cool those spuds down. Chop into about 1 inch cubes, and set aside.
- Cook ditali in boiling salted water until just al dente. Drain, rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- Add diced potatoes and cooked ditali to large bowl. Add the eggs, celery, cucumber chunks and drained onion and jalapenos. Add one cup mayonnaise, mustard, 1/2 of the pickling juice and salt and pepper, to taste, to the bowl. Mix gently to combine and evenly distribute dressing. Add more mayo, if mixture is not well covered with dressing. Taste, adjust seasonings, and add more pickling juice, if desired. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours so flavours meet one another and get all friendly. Serve chilled.