If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This might be my perfect bar cookie recipe: buttery, rich, and studded with chewy pockets of sweet marzipan and crunchy bits of toasted cashews. Feel free to vary the nuts or use almond paste in place of marzipan. —Posie Harwood
Makes 12 small bars
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup (4 1/2 ounces) white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) dark brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1/2 cup (3 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (6 3/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces marzipan, chopped in small pieces (almond paste works too)
- 1 cup chopped toasted cashews
- 1/4 cup (1 1/2 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 9" x 9" baking pan and line with parchment paper. Note: You can either make these in a 9" square pan, or you can use an 8" square pan if you want them to be VERY thick. (Sometimes I put 3/4 of the batter in a thinner layer in an 8" square pan and bake the extra in a standard 9" x 5" loaf pan. Or I make a super thin batch in a 9" x 13" pan! Experiment and just see what you like!)
- Place the butter and half of the white chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Microwave until the butter melts, then stir together until the chocolate melts fully. (You can also do this in a saucepan on the stovetop.)
- Let cool slightly, then add both sugars and whisk until well combined.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking until both are fully incorporated. Mix in the vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until the batter just comes together.
- Fold in the marzipan, cashews, remaining white chocolate, and dark chocolate.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until golden and set but still slightly soft in the middle to the touch. (If you're using a larger pan, start checking after 25 minutes.)
- Let cool fully before slicing.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!