I just dreamed it up. :D —DUZE @BakingBackwards
- Serves 36 triangles approximately
large butternut squash
1 1/2 teaspoons
1/2- 1 teaspoons
dried red chili flakes
demerara brown sugar
cloves garlic, finely minced
coarse sea salt
cracked black pepper
fine freshly grated parmesan cheese
extra virgin olive oil
red onion, finely chopped
shelled salted pistachios, chopped
package soft goat's cheese
(about 18 sheets) commercial phyllo, defrosted and at room temperature
olive oil for brushing pastries
jar good quality hot mango chutney for serving
In This Recipe
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel, de-seed, and chop the butternut squash into small chunks. Place in a large mixing bowl with one splash of olive oil and all the the spices on the ingredient list before stopping with cracked pepper. Mix well. Pour out and arrange evenly on the cookie sheet. Place the sheet in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes approximately, or until squash pieces are fork-tender.
- Remove baked squash from the oven and empty into bowl from cookie sheet. With a potato masher, mash the squash pieces to a rough mash consistency. Grate approximately 1/8 cup Parmesan cheese over the squash mixture and stir in. Set aside.
- In a frying pan heat one splash olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped red onion. Saute the onion gently until it is quite wet and caramelized (approximately 5-10 minutes). Take off heat and set aside.
- Finely chop the shelled salted pistachios. Place in a small bowl and set aside.
- PHYLLO-TIME: .Have the phyllo ready. Place the sheets in front of you and, using a sharp knife, cut lengthwise into 4 equal columns. Stack them, and keep the stack covered with a dry kitchen towel and then over that a damn kitchen towel. Preheat the oven to 350°F, and lightly oil 2 baking sheets.
- Remove 1 strip of phyllo, brush it lightly with olive oil, and place another strip on top. Brush that with oil, too. Place 3/4 teaspoon of the SQUASH filling in the lower right-hand corner of the phyllo, about 1/2 inch from the edge. Top the filling blob with a tiny dob of the caramelized onion, a 1/2 teaspoon dob of soft goat's cheese and a pinch of the chopped pistachios.
- Fold up the right corner to form a right triangle, and continue folding, the way one folds a flag. Place seam side down on the baking sheet. Continue until the phyllo and filling are used up. Bake in the center of the oven for 12 to 15 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
- Serve the triangles warm either alone or with a good hot mango chutney. Enjoy!