Ok, apple day it is - let's get the imagination going... what can I make that isn't boring and the same old story? Apples go with... cinnamon? Pine nuts? Sultanas? Vin Santo? Ok, I got it! Some individual puff pastry cases filled with all these ingredients. I used ready-made puff pastry and cut the pastry in triangles, filled them and gathered the 3 points of the triangle to make these pillows. —Maria Teresa Jorge
- Serves 6
sultanas soaked in Vin Santo
pine nuts lightly toasted
- Puff pastry
ready made puff pastry (circle)
egg yolk for brushing pastry
icing sugar for decoration
- Lightly warm up the Vin Santo and soak the sultanas for 15 minutes.
- Toast the pine nuts in a frying pan until just pale blond. Set aside on some kitchen paper and let cool.
- Wash, peel and cut the apples in small little pieces.
- Drain the sultanas in a colander, reserving the Vin Santo.
- Pre-heat the oven to 325ºF with rack in the middle.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a pan, add the Vin Santo, the sugar and 1 tablespoon of water and bring to a boil. Add the apple pieces and the cinnamon and let simmer for about 10 minutes over low heat. Add the sultanas and continue cooking until the apples are cooked and the liquid evaporated leaving the sugar caramelized. Add the toasted pine nuts, mix and let the filling cool completely.
- Unroll the puff pastry disk and cut in 6 triangles - once across the middle and then divide each half in 2 (like pizza slices!).
- Take a triangle of puff pastry, add some filling in the middle. Pull the 3 sides up and to the middle over the filling and twist them together so they stick together, making sure the lateral openings are facing up so the filling doesn't come out during cooking. Put the pillow on the baking tray previously lined with parchment paper. Do the same with the other triangles.
- Lightly beat the egg yolk and brush the sides and top of your pastry pillow.
- Bake in the oven until the pastry is cooked and golden, about 20 minutes (the filling is already cooked).
- Serve warm dusted with some icing sugar and serve with some vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
- Note: I used ready made puff pastry that I buy in a form of a circle. If you have a rectangle try different shaped pillows. You can obviously make them with your own home-made puff pastry.