If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Weirdly, perhaps, I got curious about Chicken Paprikash while I was rewatching the Marvel Studios movie “Captain America: Civil War” (maybe not as much as people went out to figure out shawarma after the first Avengers movie, though). This is a hybrid that is mainly inspired by the youtube “Cooking with Oma” making her version of the dish.
Makes 6 servings
Mashed Garlic Cauliflower
- 2 medium heads cauliflower, large chop
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic in oil
- 1.5-2 pounds chicken breasts, cut into thirds
- 2 large sweet onions, large dice
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced into ribbons
- 1.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1.5 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 packet (ca 2.5 T) gelatin
- 1/2 cup EVOO
- Cauliflower: Start roasting the cauliflower first, then get the chicken going. Spread the large pieces of cauliflower onto a shallow baking pan lined with parchment. Spray the cauliflower liberally with EVOO. Roast at 400F for 20-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Heat EVOO and sauté onions until lightly colored over med-high heat
- Add paprika and mix.
- Add chicken pieces to coat. Lower heat to medium
- Add peppers and carrots, combine
- Add tomato paste and spices, and 1 c broth, stir well and cover
- Heat at medium-low (mild bubbling) for one hour, stirring every 5 minutes for the first 20 minutes, then every 10 minutes thereafter. Finish the cauliflower while heating the chicken.
- Cauliflower: Remove cauliflower from the oven and place the pieces into a food processor. Process the roasted cauliflower. Add the sour cream, cheese, and garlic, process to smooth. Spread into a glass baking dish and bake for 20-30 minutes at 350, stirring 2-3 times.
- Back to the chicken: After an hour, raise the temperature to medium-high, add the gelatin mixed with the remaining half cup of broth. Stir to thicken.
- Lower the temperature back to medium-low and stir periodically for 10-15 minutes.
- Place the 1.5 c sour cream in a bowl. Spoon in about ¼ cup of the red sauce from the pan and mix well. Then add to the chicken mixture and stir well.
- Spoon a serving of the chicken paprikash over a helping of the mashed cauliflower in a bowl.