Author Notes: Southern classic. —jesseclark
Prep time: 5 min
Cook time: 15 min
tablespoons Fat ( chicken, pork, butter, pan drippings )
cups whole milk
cups sliced mushrooms ( I prefer shiitakes ) sauteed in 1 T butter
tablespoons pepper ( should be peppery )
- Heat fat over medium heat. Add flour 1 Tablespoon at a time whisking continuously. Cook stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes.
- Add milk a 1/2 cup or so at a time, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes or until well thickened.
- Add simmered mushrooms, salt, and pepper.
- Serve over buttermilk biscuits, mashed potatoes, grits, or your favorite starchy vessel for flavor.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Gravy