If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Traditionally, shirred eggs are eggs cracked in a dish, topped with a splash of cream and a little parmesan and then baked until the whites are firm and the yolks are still a bit soft. I've enjoyed them over roasted carrots and leeks, mushrooms, sautéed spinach with a dollop of ricotta on top, chorizo and roasted sweet potato with a sprinkle of cotija, and so on. All equally delicious.
To get started for yourself, all you need is a few eggs, a splash of cream, and a little cheese of your choosing for a base. After that, how you personalize your shirred eggs is up to you.
Note: Use a flat baking dish, instead of a high sided or deep dish, to ensure the eggs cook evenly. I used a small cast-iron casserole dish, similar to this one. —Grant Melton
Food52 Review: This recipe was featured in the article "For Creamy, B&B-Style Eggs—And Fast!—Crank Up the Oven." —The Editors
Butter, for greasing the dish
A splash of heavy cream
cup filling (leftover roasted veggies, sliced sausage, sautéed kale or Swiss chard, roasted tomatoes, sautéed mushrooms, creamed spinach, etc.—whatever you have!)
eggs, room temperature
Chives, chopped, for topping
- Preheat oven to 475° F, or as high as your oven will go.
- Butter a 24-ounce dish, preferably cast-iron. Set aside.
- Pour about a tablespoon of cream into the bottom of the dish and swirl it to cover the bottom. Scatter some filling into the bottom of the dish. Crack two eggs on top. Try the gets the yolks as close to the center as possible, they’ll cook more evenly that way. Season the top with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, and some finely grated cheese. Place into the oven for at least 10 minutes or until whites are solid and the yolks are cooking to your liking.
- Remove from oven and garnish with chives. Serve while it’s hot and bubbly!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
More Great Recipes: