If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We can't get grape nuts where we live, in Canada. But it's my son's favorite cereal, so we always buy many boxes when we see it. After running out of our stock, I decided it was time to learn to make them at home, so we'll never run out! —Carey
- 3 cups coarse grind whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup barley or wheat bran
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup barley malt syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment.
- Combine flour, bran, salt, and baking soda; whisk to combine. Add buttermilk, malt syrup, and vanilla extract and mix until evenly combined.
- Spread evenly on parchment and bake until just browning, 20 minutes. Cool for 35-40 minutes.
- Heat oven to 275 degrees. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment. Working in batches, break into chunks and pulse in food processor until crumbs are the size of the cereal.
- Spread cereal evenly across two pans and bake until crunchy; 45 minutes total, rotating and stirring pans every 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely and then store in an air-tight container.